June 9, 2023

Holiday Travel Plans include Canada, eh?

Travel CanadaWhether you’re planning to ski at Whistler, visit the Bug Zoo in Victoria, or just enjoy the other Vancouver with your kid(s) this holiday, be prepared with the right documentation. Simply relying on your passport(s) may not guarantee crossing the border with your child unless both parents are present or have consented. On a trip to Victoria this summer, my wife and daughter received the third degree by a Canadian border official because she was unaware that even a happily married parent may face stiff scrutiny, if both parents are not present at the border . To avoid denial of entry or interrogation delay (and your trip flashing before your eyes) you should have a consent letter signed by any adult with custody or visitation rights for the child aged 19 or younger.

The consent letter needs to include as much detail as possible, but at a minimum the non-accompanying parent’s:
-Phone number
-Copy of their passport or national identification card (attached to the letter)
-Preferably be notarized by a notary public (available at our office thanks for our paralegal, Jamie Schulz, or any bank)

Additionally, if the parents are separated or divorced you should have a copy of your Parenting Plan/Residential Schedule and if you anticipate trips to Canada or out-of the country you should encourage your lawyer to include language addressing international travel which is tailored to your individual needs. In cases where one of the child’s parents is deceased, a copy of the death certificate should be presented. For more comprehensive coverage, I recommend you Google this issue as Canada has several good websites dedicated to this topic.

More questions?  Call or visit us today at 360-696-4495.  1104 Main Street, Suite 200, Vancouver WA 98860